Monday, July 9, 2012

To Quit or Not to Quit??


The other night while at work, I realized I had a decision to make. Do I just quit or do I suck it up and keep on trucking? I mean, I really don't mind my job at all; I enjoy seeing most of the customers, I enjoy the faster pace of my job, I love the owners of the place (they are terrific people!!) and I really like most of my coworkers. Lately, however, I have been coming to the end of my rapidly fraying rope of patience with the H.S. bullshit and drama that tends to go on there :/ Even though I really love most of the things about my job, I am seriously considering walking away from it.

Perhaps I should back up a little bit. I'm thinking there are a few things that should be made clear from the start. Like, a bit about me and what it is that I do.

I am an Aries. By nature, I am very stubborn and determined. I, also, am not someone who easily lets myself be backed into a corner. I tend to get frustrated easily, can be hard to get along with, and have a very low tolerance for stupidity. On the other hand, I tend to be a really hard worker, a bit of an over-achiever, and a little bit obsessive compulsive.

With that said, I am one of the cooks at one if the little "restaurants" in town. This is the nice way to say that I flip burgers for a living. The owners of this establishment are wonderful people whom I have worked for at more than one of their businesses over the last six and a half years. I love them :) If I could work for them for a long time to come I would. Anyways, I am beginning to veer off track.
And I most certainly do!!

Now, where was I? Oh, yes. That's right. I flip burgers. This is not a very hard job. It is not, by any means, rocket science. Really, all you need is basic common sense and a little bit of a work ethic (meaning you come to your job and, I don't know, actually work). Generally, a pleasant attitude and willingness to help the customers is also required in my line of work--which I suppose also means remembering to be nice to them even when they are idiots and rude to you first (or, heaven forbid, actually wrong). The main point here is, that simply using the brain in your skull is the ONLY hard thing about this job.

Since it would seem this is such an easy job that I rather enjoy doing (most days), it would seem that there should be no reason for me to want to leave at all. That is where you would be wrong. Here is just a sampling of the reasons why I want/need to leave.

  1. The utter lack of brain usage. Since I have had conversations with most of my coworkers, I can say that I don't believe any of them to be idiots. However, the simplest tasks become ginormous obstacles to them and it is utterly frustrating. I shouldn't have to walk someone step-by-step through sweeping and mopping the restaurant...
  2. Complete lack of communication in general. Aside from being one of the cooks, I am also one of the supervisors. With that said, it would make sense for me to be informed of things like what products we are out of, which coworkers have called in (and even if that person's shift was covered or not!!), or if there are changes to the way things should be done. So many times, though, I am not. It gets worse from there but we'll just leave it with non-communication to me.
  3. The almost mutual laziness that others have when it comes to doing their jobs. I don't mean they come to work and do nothing (though that has been the case a few times before--and it was remedied LoL). I mean the half-ass way they do their job. They may do the job but it looks horribly done once they are finished. And they see nothing wrong with that....
  4. And the completely personal attacks that have been going on around there. The lying and the backstabbing. I don't mean just at work. It has surpassed that and crossed over into personal lives. People's personal relationships outside of the workplace are in jeopardy these days. I am not in high school anymore and I don't want to be a part of that. It is stressful and, quite frankly, below my intelligence level.
I could list a few more and definitely go into some details but I won't. Having seen just a few of those reasons written out in front of me has made me realize I am going to quit. For the sake of my sanity. Hey, that means I don't have to recall the list of reasons the job I (hopefully) have lined up is even better for me than this one :D Score!!

Alright, since I have made up my mind to quit, I am gonna head off to bed and get some sleep and rid myself of some of this anxiety before my interview in the morning. Yes, the previously mentioned job I (hopefully) have lined up. I am keeping my fingers crossed on that!! Wish me luck!!

Goodnight all!!

~The Mouthy Bitch~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave some feedback!! Even if I don't respond, it is greatly appreciated and I enjoy reading the comments!! Thanks again for reading and have a bitchin' day!!